Vinyl (Polyvinyl Chloride) is the third most widely produced plastic, after polyethylene and polypropylene. Global vinyl growth is expected to be 3-4% per annum for 2014-18 period. Because of its extreme versatility, vinyl is suitable for a wide range of applications in many different markets and industries.
- Building: Waste water pipes, grating covers, guttering, drain pipes, waste water fittings, roofing sheets, sanitary installations, window frames, fascia boards.
- Electrical engineering: Insulation pipes, acoustic panels, electricity distribution boxes, telephone housings, transparent distributor box housings, plug housings, sound carrier sheet, battery terminals.
- Mechanical engineering: Pressure pipes, ventilation ducts, thermostat housings, fittings, pipe connections, claddings, ventilators.
- Packaging: Disposable pots, spice and cream containers, ball point pen cases, oil and beverage bottles.
- Electrical engineering: Cable and wire insulation, plugs, cable jackets, sockets, cable heads and distributors.
- Mechanical engineering: Gaskets, stuffing boxes, pipes, hoses, coatings, and protective caps for pipes.
- Building: Seals for windows and doors, swimming bath linings, floor coverings, doorstops, garden hoses, wire coverings.
- Others: Shoe soles, divers masks, car body seals, ski sunglasses, toys, tablecloths, boots, cases. cling film, inflatable dinghies, balls, handbags, book covers, office equipment.
Vinyl's intrinsic properties make it suitable for a wide variety of applications. It is biologically and chemically resistant, making it the plastic of choice for most household sewerage pipes and other pipe applications where corrosion would limit the use of metal.
With the addition of impact modifiers and stabilizers, it becomes a popular material for window and door frames. By adding plasticizers, it can become flexible enough to be used in cabling applications as a wire insulator.
Shriram PolyTech manufactures Vinyl compounds that meet the strict regulations and requirements specified in various international standards.